The Inspector is part of Silktide used to view issues on a page.
Inspecting a page
If the Inspector is available, you will see a magnifying glass icon next to an issue or page:
Clicking on the magnifying glass opens the Inspector.
Understanding the Inspector
The Inspector typically looks something like this:
- Issues are listed down the left-hand side. Depending on your permissions, you can interact with issues here.
- Technical users may view the HTML source code by clicking HTML. Some issues are only visible in the HTML view.
- You can retest a page by clicking on the Retest button in the top right. Retesting a page usually takes about 10 – 15 seconds, depending on the test and the speed of the website. Note that when you retest a page, Silktide updates the desktop and mobile version, and runs all tests for those pages, not just the test you are looking at now.
- You may edit the page if you’re using a supported Content Management System (CMS) that has been configured, and you have permission to use it. Simply click on the Edit button to open the same page in your CMS.
- You can visit the page by clicking on the web address at the top of the page. Note that this could be different when you view it, compared to what Silktide saw when it tested the page.
- You exit the Inspector by clicking on the X in the top right corner.
Working with issues
If the current page has issues, you will see a list down the left-hand side of the page. Depending on the permissions of this website, you may also be able to interact with these issues.
Depending on the issue, you will see a range of buttons below it. These typically allow you to make decisions to ignore or approve an issue – for example, by approving an unrecognized spelling:
In the example above, clicking Learn would add this spelling to your account dictionary and prevent us from flagging the same word elsewhere, and clicking the G (Google logo) icon would search for the word in Google. More advanced options are shown by clicking on the down arrow in the final button.
These options will change depending on the issue displayed. For help on a given button, hover your mouse over it, and a descriptive tooltip will appear.
Clicking on a button is always undoable. For example, if you approved the above spelling, you will be shown an explanatory message with a link to undo this decision. If you missed that, you can always view your Decisions screen and undo it later.
Understanding filtered results
If you see a back link at the top of your issue navigator on the left, it means you are currently viewing filtered results:
Results can be filtered depending on how you got to the Inspector. If for example, you clicked on a specific spelling error in a report, the Inspector will only show you that particular issue by default. You can remove this filter by clicking on the back link at the top of the issue result.
You can also step through other pages with the same issue. Use the < and > icons in the top-right corner of the main header.